10 January 2012

ST:TOR

I have friends playing TOR, and I heard some really good build-up for it.

But... this article in Forbes, and similar ones on other pages and publications.  It leaves me feeling really icky that there's an option of a slave with a shock collar around her neck, that she can be tortured and belittled, that rape is an available act for the bad guys, et cetera.  I know that the bad side is actually evil.  But, it's one thing to watch it in a movie or read about it and root against it.  It's another to role-play it in an immersive atmosphere.  Knowing that the kind of people who want night elves in WoW to take off their clothes and dance for them are able to actually really get into some nasty stuff.

In WoW, I know that people get really into the RP.  They get genuinely upset if someone they just know online isn't able to spend time with them.  They get pissed off royally if someone from the opposite faction kills their character.  They take it personally if another character emotes a /spit or something worse at them.  Some people really have problems separating the game from reality at times.

And these people can now brag in their equivalent of Trade chat about how they torture and rape.  Did we need another venue for woman-hate in new games coming out?  There's enough misogyny elsewhere.

I was thinking of giving TOR a shot, but on second thought, I don't want to financially support this bullshit.  It's sexist enough in WoW and other games.  I don't need to pay to take that even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment