12 January 2012

World geography

The other evening, I went to visit a close friend.  Near the end of my visit, her daughter, my heart's niece, got home from daycare.  She's three years old and super smart.  She's been reading and counting for a long time now, and it seems she's developed an interest in geography lately.  Africa is her current favourite.

So during dinner, I mention port, and tell her that it's a type of wine made in Portugal.  Her mum asked her "Do you know where Portugal is?"  And answering so immediately that you could tell she didn't have to think much of it, she replies, "Portugal is beside Spain!"  I don't know that I was so familiar with European geography at any point in early schooling.  And she has a globe that she loves to play with.  Not because her parents forced it on her, but because when Santa asked what she wanted, she said she wanted a globe.

Damn.

I hope that she never goes through a stage where she downplays her intelligence because she thinks boys will like her better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment