6 December 2011

Old book stores

I adore old book stores.  Especially used book stores.  Everything there is possibly a volume that somebody has loved and maybe agonised over passing on for somebody else to love.

To paraphrase Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there's something about the feel and smell of an actual book.  A computer or e-reader can never replace them, at least for me.  Maybe an e-reader for a one-time read of a popular book, but I'd rather my classics and my beloved sci-fi be right there, allowing me to turn the page, bring in anywhere without worrying about power left.

There's a lovely used book store a block or two from me.  The man who works there seems to know most of the store intimately.  He can chat with you about the genre you're interested in for ages.  If somebody comes in and says they want a particular volume, he can generally tell them directly where to go, and know without a computer that there is still at least one copy left.

And the treasure-trove behind his front desk!  Well-preserved and old books and magasines galore.  For my father's birthday last year, I found him an excellently-preserved LIFE magasine from the 1940s, and have seen some from as early as the 30s.

For me, one of the sadder things in life is a person who doesn't enjoy, or doesn't know how to read.  On a personal note, one of the sadder things is the realisation that I don't have enough shelf space, or room for for shelves in which to keep all my books.  But maybe through some place like this store, somebody else can love some of my treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment